Wednesday 24 October 2007

friends


I saw the Shaolin Monks with M last week. They were pretty good. Flipping all over the stage. My favourite part was when one lay down over a rack of knives and the whole audience was quiet making M saying: ‘he is crazyyyy’ all the more audible.

I also went to a classical concert in a beautiful church called St Johns in Notting Hill. It was M’s flatmate playing the violin and her friend playing the piano. It was all very civilised. Until we finished the evening in the pub. I have never felt so unwell at work as the next morning. We both would have called in sick except I was celebrating being at this company for one year (a surprisingly difficult feat) and had arranged for everyone to go to the pub that evening.
I arrived at the office where M, on the early shift, was just slumped over her desk trying to speak coherently to someone on the phone. She is from Slovakia and was finding it really difficult to speak English.
All morning I felt like I was on a ship. I think this is probably because I was still drunk. We didn’t finish the evening until 3.00 and had to be awake at 6.00. At lunchtime I was starving and wandered over to tell M who said: ‘Yeah me too. I guess that’s why I just ordered two large takeaway pizzas then.’ It is so not hard to know why we are friends.

Luckily we were both feeling better by pub time. Loads of people turned up at the pub, which was lovely, and it is such a big deal making a year here that I even got a card. So many funny, lovely messages.


On Fridays quite a few people from work head to the pub to start the weekend. I really love these Friday drinks as my favourite people from the office always attend. There is one guy,MS, who is really nice but sometimes does things I really don't understand. Like riling up a coked-to-the-eyeballs guy. I have no idea what he thought he would achieve by this but it was kind of worth it for this guy calling MS ‘curtains.’

No comments: