Friday 7 November 2008

Cycle of Life

My friend Chris spent about 3 months cycling across Africa, with his friends, for charity. On Wednesday night I went to the RGS to listen to his friend, and organiser of the trip, Barty describe what just sounds like the most incredible journey.

I met up with M and Hollie and we managed to bag seats near the front of what quickly became a packed out auditorium. I am so happy that loads of people turned up because I think that what he did was amazing.

Barty stood on stage and said that he didn't know so many people were going to have shown up. He cleared his throat a few times. Rustled his papers. I guess speaking in front of hundreds instead of the family members and friends that you were just expecting is pretty daunting.

I was worried that I would fall asleep. There is just something about lecture halls that makes me feel sleepy. But. This was not the case. Barty captured peoples attention immediately with photos and his whole talk was peppered with anecdotes and humour and yet the importance of the trip was foremost in his speech. The idea was to draw attention to the poverty in Africa, as well as to the conservationist side.

Their journey took them through Zimbabwe where the currency was something like 5000 to a pound. When they left, 9 days later, it was something like a million. This was smack in the middle of the election period and the drama surrounding Mugabe and his treatment of his opposition. They also set up camp one night, to the total consternation of a native who told them, no, this area is "too animally."

Things that made me laugh:

Pictures of Chris with his wild man of Borneo hair
Chris's brother joining them on the trip and them posing for a photo doing the most excited faces
One of the guys accidentally running over a snake
Chris being really anal regarding timing and numbers
Barty buying flour instead of meal. They have a photo of when they all found out, after 8 hours cycling. Too funny.
When Mark Beaumont joined the group for the last leg of the journey and all the photos of the team cycling along with him holding hands or touching his butt.

I can't imagine doing something like that and then coming back to a 9-5 job. I also know that I probably would have had a tough time dealing with the sights that they saw so am glad I did the best I could to help by donating. They raised £60,000 and I am so proud of Chris.

To learn

To Donate

No comments: