Wednesday 12 November 2008

What I saw on the train

I get to the station and wait for my train. It pulls in and the doors open. A group of hot lads jump off and strip on the platform, throwing their discarded items back onto the train. Before the doors close they all manage to leap back on. People on the train are looking startled but no one says anything. A few older men look disgusted. A few older women try and get in sneaky glimpses. Others stare, some try and take a surreptitious photo. All in all, the reactions of the people on the train was entirely British. There were no catcalls, no comments. The platform attendant ignored it, but pointedly said: "This train is ready to leave. Stand clear of the closing doors.'

So. If you are wondering what would happen if you stripped on a station platform, leapt on a train and redressed, the answer is, not a lot.

Later on that evening, the train driver said: "There are beggars operating on the train. Please do not give them any money as, truth be told, they probably have more than us."
At the next station 2 women got off the tube, babies strapped to them, and went to throw their empty Coke cans at the drivers compartment. A man on the platform said: "I wouldn't do that. People on the train are watching you and those that would maybe give you money next time will definitely not." They walked off.

I was just thinking, if I had to beg, I think I could cope without needing to spend money on Coke. Branded Coke at that.

Actually, it was a pretty tame journey considering there was a big Arsenal match on.

No comments: