Tuesday 21 October 2008

Nigella, Delia and Gordon

Me: A tried talking to me again this morning at 8.40 about the thing that I told him that he didn't understand that is apparently MY fault. I turned up Foo Fighters 'The Pretender.' Nearly blew my eardrums off but I think that it was worth it.
P.s. This is a very good song. Perhaps my favourite FF one. I don't know. It is far too early to make such big decisions.

Jess: Will check it out. See if I concur with your normal babbling nonsense.

Me: It is pretty fantastic. And I do not talk nonsense. That is Rude. Although I did say to Sophie on Sunday that squashes have seeds in! Just like pumpkins! And they smell like pumpkins!!!

Jess: Oh FFD! Dude- nonsense is good. Non-nonsense is net curtains.

Me: I cooked squash the other night. It was pretty delicious. The recipe was like, toast your (23,000) spices under the grill to release the aromas. Then mix in a bowl with some nut oil and carefully coat your cubed squash. Sophie came into the kitchen and was like, veering from the recipe a little then? As I was gaily throwing around paprika and cumin and whatnot straight into the roasting tin with cooking oil. And they weren't grilled to release no aromas neither.

Sophie: I wondered why you were asking Matt where the grill was

Jess:Fd!
Sounds blooming gorgeous!!!!
Srsly...gorgeous....
And 2300 spices eh.

Me: I asked him and then I was like, dude, when have we ever grilled paprika to release aromas? Surely that is a v pointless thing to do as the whole point of spices and herbs is that they just ARE. And I SWEAR there was a total LIST of spices to use. I mean, as it was I used salt, pepper, paprika, cumin and tumeric!

Jess: So not ac-tually 23,000 then. In fact about 8. Mmmm yum though, will try and cook it!

Me: Coolio. If you need instructions, let me know. I.e, do I add the 1/2 teaspoon of paprika before or after the salt? Answer: chuck it all in a pan, gaily, and do not bother using a teaspoon.

Jess: Fd! Sounds like the sort of cooky shit I like to do...... I made another interminable fucking casserole on Thursday, I'm afraid it went down the crapper yesterday... So borrrrrrrring.

Sophie: I make a nice rice one. Mum used to make it -

Cook some rice
Chop and fry some chicken
Chop and fry whatever veg you like in another pan (I make mine really tiny as don't like big bits)
Add curry paste to veg

Put cooked chicken in casserole dish
Put cooked veg in caserole dish
Add 1 can chopped toms to casserole dish
Add 1 can curry milk (or however much)

Add egg to pan and fry in the rice
Put in casserole dish

Mix everything in casserole dish and heat in oven

Written down it looks quite long but its really just chopping anything you want to eat, frying it and adding it to a casserole dish with curry paste.

Another dinner we do often is chop up some (Tesco finest, free range, organic, darlings) beef and mix it with cornflour. Then fry with some stir fry veg and sauce. Yum. But you have to remember to get it out the freezer which is where we go wrong fairly often.

The other one that we have whenever we don't know what to eat (like 3 times a week) is the one I made when you came round.

That's basically :

Fry onion, chilli, garlic, any veg going a bit mank in the fridge on low heat whilst you chop....
Bacon or sausage or if Hawk is super lucky BOTH.
Add to pan

Cook pasta

Add chopped tomatoes and water to the above veg/meat once cooked add any kind of herbification you like or have in cupboards i.e. pepper, mixed herbs, paprika

If Hawk is not looking add a teaspoon of peanut butter

Et voila!!!
This dinner doesn't really take much more time than it takes to cook pasta and we always have all the stuff which is why it gets made so often.

Jess: YUM!!! I do use peanybutt quite a lot as its delish cooked!

Me:
Matt: ROSIE!!! GUESS WHAT!!
Me: WHAT!????????????
Matt: SOPHIE PUT PEANUT BUTTER IN THE PASTA SAUCE!
Me: . . .
Matt: Like, A MASSIVE LOAD OF IT!!!
Me: ......
Matt: Like *thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis* much!!!
Me: *raises eyebrows*
Matt: I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT!
Me: . . .
Matt: Don't worry though. I made her take it out.

Sophie: He said he hadn't been so outraged since he found out the cost of dishwasher tablets

Jess: Oh FFD! I like Matt- he's a nonsense person!!!! Even though.... The Hinder Extreme Behaviour album is one of my fave's and he said Hinder were a glorified boyband!!!

Me: You shouldn't listen to Matt's music opinions as they verge on the extreme. I like listening to his randomness but cor blimey don't give him the remote if you are watching the music channels. You'll never get to watch a song all the way through.

Jess: FD! Pre-ordered the new AC/DC album for Tobs, he just text me to say he's listening to it now!!! Mine should be on my mat when I get home or else!

Me: You'll write a stiff letter(on cardboard) to the fanclub?

Jess: Rude!

Me: HA. Do you have a good soup recipe? Fancy attempting one.

Jess: For a fish one I do - I finely chop, onion, celery and carrot. Sauté it for few minutes. Boil the kettle. Add water and veg stock. Then in that put big dollop of korma paste (really its to your specific taste) a huge dollop of mango chutney, and creamed coconut sachet, I think it needs 2. Cook all that up- then roughly blend it- then back on the stove, add loads of white fish and cook gently til fish is done- Delish! Once. I cooked a whole saucepan of this soup..all went well until I lifted it up off the stove to blend it and the pan handle fell clean off the pan....fish soup from my kitchen to the UCI cinema.

Me: LAUGHING at soup disaster!!!! We did our cleaning. All finished. Matt puts hoover and mop away. I open cat cupboard. Approximately 17 million cat biscuits scatter as far as the eye can see.

Jess: FFD!! Those pesky cat biscuits.............. They go everywhere!!! And the freakin cat hates them anyway!!!! I'll be using them as an alternative topping for my shepherds pie soon!

No comments: