Tuesday 28 October 2008

unbelievable homework

This is a sample from some homework that Lulu sent me and Sophie to edit:

"Firstly I made my box. At the time I didn’t like it as it was an ugly colour and was just bad. So I put it in the bin (it also got caught in the rain and was soggy) and started again."

"The vision I perceived for the next box I made was better than the reality version of it."

"It took me 3 attempts to get my T-shirt right. On my 1st,the ink bled all over the t-shirt leaving nasty marks. On the second T-Shirt I used sellotape. I was not aware it melted when it gets ironed."

"(Although it doesn’t look it, my necklace took me years)."

"When I look at what other students have made they look more professional. I should of asked for more help and gone to the workshop."

It was an evaluation that we had neither seen the brief for nor the finished results. After editing her work, I sent it back to her and asked for some actual photos to look at. She managed to make an album on Facebook. Me and Sophie had a look at the photos and made comments. Eg. You should add ... to your evaluation. To which she phoned Sophie and went MENTAL. About the fact we were asking HER to add things to HER OWN homework. Sophie passed the phone to me.
Me: But, all you have to do is cut and paste the comments we've written . . .
Lulu: I CAN'T DO THAT. FOR GOD'S SAAAAAAAAAAKE

And:
Lulu: FINE!!! FINE JUST FORGET IT!!!

And she HUNG UP.

It was UNBELIEVABLE. You wouldn't believe it because it was unbelievable.

That morning she had asked me whether I would look at some homework for her. She said she would email it to me and I was going to have a look at it during my lunch break. I don't know WHAT happened (but I imagine it involved a nap) but I did not receive her homework until about 8pm when all I wanted to do was find out who was being kicked off 'The Restaurant.' Anyway. Then we ask to see some photos. The photos of items the evaluation was actually about and would have been pretty useful at the start. When it got to 10pm and we still hadn't received them, Sophie called her. To find out she was WATCHING DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES. It was Unbelievable. All I wanted to do was go to bed with my hot-water bottle and instead I was being shouted at by a raving loon.

AND!!! Even after the hanging up and shouting, she sent me more homework to do on the history of geometry!!! 10.30pm and I was writing about how the Ancient Greeks used geometry for astrology, surveying and map reading.

I tell you, at 23 it is not how you want to spend an evening. Although the retelling greatly amused my father.

No comments: